But we probably have no need to get rid of our monarchy, the family seems to be doing that job for us. When that happens, we can see whether tourist revenues go up or down :-)
It is absolutely amazing to see so many people who obviously have no skin in this particular game crawling out from under their rocks to share their strongly held beliefs about the royal family, as if the rest of us give a toss about your opinion...
So yeah, getting rid of the monarchy seems to have worked.
- I would like to go to Russia very much — although the bastards murdered half my family.
- Dontopedalogy is the science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it, which I've practised for many years.
- You're just a silly little Whitehall [civil service] twit: you don't trust me and I don't trust you.
- I don't care what kind it is, just get me a beer.
- So you are the people tearing down the Brazilian rainforest and breeding cattle. [This was when he was a figurehead for the WWF.]
- Anyone who is concerned about his dignity would be well advised to keep away from horses.
Anyhow, it is a shame to lose an entertaining tradition. Also a shame to lose someone with such character from the royal family. Only Princess Anne has the same outspoken, blunt manner and a penchant for the odd swearword.
I'm a big fan of the Economist style guide (and Orwell's essay Politics and the English Language, which informs the guide) and have used it shamelessly as the basis for guides I've written in newsrooms over the years.