Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15527 Discussions

July 2024 Update on Instability Reports on Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen Desktop Processors

Thomas_Hannaford
Employee

*9/25/24 - Please go to the following link for the latest updates: Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen Desktop Processor Vmin Instability Issue Root Cause*

*Update 8/26 clarifying support guidance for Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop tray CPU purchases*

*Update 7/29 regarding customer support process guidance (included below as well): https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Clarification-Update-on-Intel-Core-13th-14th-Gen-Desktop/m-p/1618462

Based on extensive analysis of Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors returned to us due to instability issues, we have determined that elevated operating voltage is causing instability issues in some 13th/14th Gen desktop processors. Our analysis of returned processors confirms that the elevated operating voltage is stemming from a microcode algorithm resulting in incorrect voltage requests to the processor.

Intel is delivering a microcode patch which addresses the root cause of exposure to elevated voltages. We are continuing validation to ensure that scenarios of instability reported to Intel regarding its Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors are addressed. Intel is currently targeting mid-August for patch release to partners following full validation.

Intel is committed to making sure all customers who have or are currently experiencing instability symptoms on their 13th and/or 14th Gen desktop processors are supported in the exchange process.

To help streamline the support process, Intel's guidance is as follows:

• For users who purchased 13th/14th Gen-powered desktop systems from OEM/System Integrator - please reach out to your system vendor's customer support team for further assistance.
  • For users who purchased boxed 13th/14th Gen desktop processors - please reach out to Intel Customer Support for further assistance.
  • For users who purchased tray 13th/14th Gen desktop processors - please reach out to your place of purchase for further assistance.
  •  

Labels (1)
275 Replies
DaPoets
Beginner
Looking forward to testing this update with various Motherboard, CPU, & RAM configurations.
zzetta
New Contributor III

LOL so it was after all a microcode issue haha. Good thing you managed to fix it!!

Monish
Beginner

Its hardware manufacturing issue in copper oxidisation. Microcode is to minimize the power supply to the processor to stop oxidisation in copper. Cause is when power supply give more power to processor it can't handle the pressure and shutdown automatically.

CoolBook
New Contributor I

@Monish 

That is the first time I ever heard that. Do you have any sources to back up that claim?

0 Kudos
CoolBook
New Contributor I

I thought something like this was communicated by Intel?

1. A manufacturing issue related to via oxidation was discovered and fixed. This is not the main issue, and only a small number of unstable chips had that root cause.

2. High voltages risk degrading the i7 and i9 K-SKUs from gen 13 and 14. A pending microcode update should mitigate this issue.

The post above seems to be a weird mashup of the posters imagination and the actual information provided by Intel?

EduardR
Beginner

One problem is Intel has so far not provided serial numbers of CPU's affected by the oxidation issue. They absolutely need to. I have a 13900k new in a box that I don't want to even install until I know if it has the oxidation issue. If Intel refuses to tell me if this CPU has an oxidation problem then they need to swap it for a known good chip such as a 14900 series.

Donahue259
Novice

intel doesn't care about you or me and they will be sued into oblivion. I'm super upset that I got sold a CPU they knew was faulty. this is criminal and very unprofessional. I want my CPU replaced with the next model absolutely free. this is unforgivable. if they get a small fine for screwing over their customers (like me and you) then i will never buy intel for the rest of my life. always been an intel guy and hadn't been back to AMD since Phenom II. but I'm going back today. done with intel and done with their criminal tactics. 

Another funny thing is that Intel chat support has no agents to speak to. I wonder why?????? these companies have no compassion or care left in them anymore. all soulless corps who have forgotten who made them successful in the first place, THE CUSTOMER!

Markush6667
Beginner

Electrician and field heat treatment technician in oil fields and can say with 98% confidence with my knowledge that   he's onto something  

0 Kudos
FantaKal
Novice

Oh... So you belive them...

0 Kudos
Donahue259
Novice

nobody should believe a corporation. they dont care about you or me. just their wallets and selling us knowingly faulty chips. i hope they get sued into oblivion

0 Kudos
Saints
Beginner

Is it? 

Gonna check it today for my motherboard.. update released today

- Update CPU Microcode 0x129
0 Kudos
berkkocaturk
New Contributor I

Is there any boosting or performance difference

0 Kudos
lucasholt
Novice

So what is the guidance for folks who own one of these processors until these updates are available? Should we do anything beyond the guidance from June?

Kaiser99799
Beginner
A quanto pare i produttori di schede madri hanno introdotto (in versione beta) un aggiornamento del bios con la nuova funzione intel default setting mirata a mettere in protezione i voltaggi della CPU e di conseguenza depotenziarla .Tutto questo fino a quando uscirà il FIX definitivo dove dovremmo ritrovare anche le prestazioni adeguate e ripristinate.
0 Kudos
FantaKal
Novice

Il problema è di fiducia ormai: questi problemi sono stati scoperti da terzi, Intel ha prima negato dando la colpa ai produttori di schede madri ed i loro settaggi, poi ha minimizzato, poi è venuto fuori che ci sono stati problemi sui chip fin da inizio 2023, poi ha detto che aggiornando i bios con i valori di baseline da lei indicati si stava tranquilli, poi è venuto fuori che invece è colpa del microcode, però ci sono state anche alcune CPU con problemi di ossidazione, ma non hanno detto quali (e loro lo sanno), per evitare di doverle richiamare e sostituire (evidentemente non sono 'alcune'), ed han aggiunto che 'i problemi di ossidazione son stati risolti nel corso del 2023', senza specificare quando (Febbraio? Novembre? cambia parecchio!)... intanto le CPU di nuova generazione saranno prodotte per Intel da TMSC, niente più produzione interna, come la 13a e 14a generazione... ti dice nulla questo? come mai spostano la produzione a Taiwan, dopo aver investito miliardi e miliardi nelle loro linee, se i problemi sono stati risolti.......???
Come ci si può ancora fidare di una azienda che opera e comunica cosi...?
Come posso sapere che il fix sarà davvero la suluzione e non l'ennesima toppa che allungherà la vita delle CPU, magari in cambio di un bel depotenziamento, quei pochi mesi che servono ad andare fuori garanzia e basta, evitando ad Intel un ulteriore bagno di sangue con gli rma???
Quanti a conoscenza di problemi e di fronte ad una comunicazione simile, oggi ricomprerebbero i propri processori Intel? ben pochi! quanti se potessero (e legalmente i margini ci sarebbero, se solo queste materie non fossero totalmente oscure a chi legifera) chiederebbero un rimborso e si orienterrebbero su altre CPU? Ci sono ampi margini per class action monumentali (che in USA ci saranno sicuramente), mentre la maggior parte dei consumatori lo prenderanno nello stoppino e basta... Intel ci metterà almeno 10 anni a riprendere la fiducia dei consumatori e dei partner, dopo sta mazzata, e dovrà cambiare molto, anche a livello di struttura interna (troppo pachidermica) e realizzare chip favolosi uno dietro l'altro, per riuscirci...

FantaKal
Novice
0 Kudos
Donahue259
Novice

just throw it in the garbage and go to AMD. super simple and less of a headache of getting another chip that's faulty to replace the faulty chip. they aren't going to reimburse anybody and will just take a small fine compared to their profits. typical scumbag corps punishment. 

0 Kudos
Kal1979
New Contributor I

Done...

It's the only thing they'll understand: bringing our money elsewhere.

0 Kudos
MrAgapiGCarlos

Good news. Btw i need a favor intel... please...

Send a msg to aorus gigabyte, none of the 600 series  has bios since Dec2023 and has cero reply or comments on it.

I do not have those cpus for now, still use my old 12th. But i will keep the eye and push info to the users for this asap on the discord that i help and my comunity.

I will leave the pro take over maybe i get one when i can.